6 Strange and Extremely Outdated Menstrual Myths
Wed Jul 15 02:38:00 2015
- Myth: Based on a New Guinea belief- Any contact a man had with menstrual blood -or even with a menstruating woman - would, as one anthropologist put it, ''corrupt his vital juices, permanently dull his wits and eventually lead to slow death.’' Source.
- Myth: You can’t get pregnant on your period. The truth: Though highly unlikely, there is still a chance that you can ovulate during menstruation. (Thank you unpredictable menstrual cycles!)
- Myth: You cannot go swimming during your period. The truth: Feel free to enjoy swimming or diving while on your period! There is currently no data that proves that sharks are more attracted to menstruating persons than non.
- Myth: You can’t have sex while on your period. The truth: Having sex while menstruation is totally okay to avoid, however, if you’re in the mood- safe and consensual sex is totally cool! Lay a towel down or hop in the shower. You and your partner may even dig the extra lube!(BONUS: Some menstruating people have reported that achieving orgasm helps to relieve their menstrual cramps!)
- Myth: Menstrual cups will affect your virginity. The truth: The definition of virginity is complicated. Traditionally, a virgin is someone who has never had sex. Many people find that the term “virgin” is really limited- and don’t even care to really definite what exactly a virgin is. If you are worried about keeping your hymen intact know that yes, there is a possibility that a menstrual cup, or a tampon, or riding a horse, dancing, even masturbation can tear one’s hymen. Keep in mind that estrogen naturally primes the tissue to stretch and wear away as females develop- so “breaking your hymen” doesn’t at all mean that you’ve lost your “virginity.”
- Myth: Taking a bath can stop your monthly flow..and other weird things like, make your hair fall out. The Truth: Taking a bath won’t reverse your menstrual flow back into your body… or make your hair fall out. Actually, taking a warm, soothing bath can relieve painful menstrual cramps and help with anxiety.
|Running while on your period? Here's why you should...||Sep 06|
|You should definitely be exercising while on your period.|
|Get exclusive coupon codes, news and tips from Lunette!||Aug 23|
|Get exclusive Lunette menstrual cup coupon codes, news and tips from Lunette!|
|How to Handle Period Stains Like a Boss||Aug 12|
|Raise your hand if you’ve ever gotten a period stain. Now, raise your hand...|
|Top 7 Chocolates I Want While PMSing||Aug 09|
|I’m no scientist but I do know the benefits of chocolate outweigh its side...|
|Tampons vs. Menstrual Cups||Jul 26|
|When it comes to managing your period, there are a lot of different options...|
|How to Use a Menstrual Cup||Jul 19|
|One of my favorite parts of using a period cup is that I don’t have to...|