Watch out for “generic” menstrual cups!
By: Ruth Alflat
There are SO many choices out there when it comes to period products, which is great news for all of us. Being able to choose something that fits your body, matches your style and suits your bank account...hella yes! We’re all about this and especially excited to see more choices available in an industry still battling with outdated taboos, though we still have a way to go.
It’s also important to have the opportunity to research the companies you are buying from and make sure your hard earned money is going where your values are and being able to compare options online has made that even easier. In some ways at least…
The popularity of menstrual cups is growing fast (woop! Shoutout to the early cup crowd, you know where it’s at) which means more choice for you but also an opportunity for some not-so-groovy companies to take advantage of the trend.
We’re seeing more and more cheap (like really cheap, like “too good to be true” cheap) menstrual cups being sold, especially on popular sites such as Amazon, and you know what they say about “too good to be true”...it often is.
We want you to have choices but, more importantly, we want people to be informed. Buying a subpar product from an untrustworthy company can lead to very bad experiences, sometimes unsafe ones, and when it comes to your health this is especially a passionate subject for us!
But how do you know if you can trust the company or the product? How can you spot a good deal compared to a rip-off? Trust us, it’s worth finding out. Your vagina will thank you!
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING MENSTRUAL CUPS
First, think about what’s important to you when buying health and beauty products (or any products really):
– Where is this product being shipped from?
– Am I looking for something environmentally friendly or vegan?
– Which aspects of the design are most important to me?
– What size am I looking for?
SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THE COMPANY YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK OUT FOR:– What is their returns policy?
– Do they have customer service?
– What’s their reputation like online?
– Does the company seem to have good company values?
TELL-TALE SIGNS OF A TRUSTED COMPANY:– They have a trustworthy looking website (ok ok this is sort of subjective but sometimes your gut can tell you).
– They clearly state all their company information, returns policies and product information. Including how and where the product is made.
– They make it easy for you to contact them both through the website and social media.
– They have active social media profiles and make an effort to respond to comments and posts.
– They get good reviews outside of their own website and Amazon listings.
– Reputable companies and bloggers have reviewed the product and written about it.
THE CRUCIAL BITS:
What is the menstrual cup made from and are all the materials high quality, safe and certified? These might vary depending on the country but being FDA approved and BPA free is always a good start. Check out our Quality and High Standards page for more.
HOW TO FIND AND COMPARE MENSTRUAL CUP BRANDS
Phew! All of the above sounds a lot right? Thankfully the internet can make our lives a bit easier too.
Then it’s helpful to open up the websites of some companies side by side and spend 10 minutes reading through a little more about them and what they’re about.
If you’re looking for options on Amazon or other shopping sites then it’s still advisable you check out the companies own website and give them a quick Google search, not just look at the info on their store listing.
Online forums and groups who specialize in discussing period products (oh trust us, there are plenty of them!) are great places to ask questions or other people for recommendations. Did you know there’s a Subreddit dedicated just to menstrual cups? Shoutout r/menstrualcups!
TELL-TALE SIGNS OF A QUESTIONABLE MENSTRUAL CUP COMPANY– They use very low quality pictures of the product, or few of them.
– Their store listing, website and other channels are full of spelling errors. Don’t get me wrong we ALL make mistakes (said the Lunette copywriter, nervously) but if they don’t have the time to check it then it’s not a good sign for the product.
– They have a lot of generic reviews or even reviews that sound like they’re not for a menstrual cup! Some shady companies will fill review sections up with fake reviews or ones for other products.
– It’s hard finding more information about them outside of the store listing.
– They’re much cheaper than the others and don’t explain how or why.
– They’re difficult to contact or have no contact information at all
– They don’t respond to messages or reviews. If they do they’re maybe defensive or rude (a good company knows hows to take feedback or, even better, welcomes it!)
DON’T SETTLE FOR LESS
Like with any product it can be tricky weighing up where to spend our money and we all want to save money where we can.
Just remember, good menstrual cups are designed to last for years so even the most expensive ones are a money saver compared to buying years worth of tampons and pads.
What’s important is that you get a high quality, long-lasting product that’s safe to use (and good for the planet while we’re at it!). And when it comes to your vagina, it’s never worth the risk!